6.07.2006

Currently Listening to....old school

Listenin' to some classics today...I added all my Supertones CDs to my iPod last night because I couldn't sleep. Drunk neighbors were having some kind of outside party. You'd think I'd be used to that from college, but I guess not.

I remember a lot of things back in those days. I remember gettin' Chase the Sun in my stocking one Christmas. I remember David getting me Loud and Clear one year for my birthday...or was it Christmas? I don't remember what it was for. I remember listening to Hi-Fi Revival in the car with Anne and being keenly disappointed in it. I got Superchick's Last One Picked that same day. I remember how excited David and I were about Revenge, cause it was supposed to be a return to the classic Supertones.

I listen to some of this stuff now and I still love it. I still don't care for the majority of Hi-Fi Revival (Supafly is the most hugely overrated song the 'Tones ever put out), but there's some good on it, like "Just a Man", "Go Your Way", and the best song on that CD, "Glory Hallelujah". I dunno if consider Revenge an overall good album or not. Don't get me wrong, there's great tracks on there: "Wake Me Up On Time" and "We Shall Overcome", the two most popular tracks on the CD, are good stuff. I still maintain that "Where I Find You" is the best song, and "Cult of Cool" is what I like to call my guilty pleasure of the album. I know it's not the most stylistically ska song, but it's still one of those "rock out against the corrupt marketing establishment" songs that make me cheer. I think since reading "The Marketing of Evil" (which you should all read if you want to find out how America has become so accepting of blatant sin) it's given me a new appreciation for it.

I've been told by so many people that "Chase the Sun" is their favorite Supertones album ever, and I still don't understand why. It's got some really great classic songs ("Grounded", "Old Friend", "Health and Wealth", "Fade Away", and "Revolution" all immediately spring to mind), but a lot of the album isn't all that good. "Away From You" is probably the second most overrated Supertones song ever. The title track is decent, but doesn't measure up to what the 'Tones can (and have) put out. I think that's pretty much what you can say for all of the remaining tracks. Not bad, but not "Tones quality good. The album just doesn't compare to the awesomeness of Supertones Strike Back or Loud and Clear.

Speaking of Loud and Clear, I don't care WHAT anyone says, I still think "What it Comes To" is a great song.

My favorite Supertones album? Supertones Strike Back. Always will be. Never can go wrong with the classics. Not a bad track on the whole CD.

I"m going to see Anne this weekend, yay. Spending the weekend at her camp she's working at should be a blast. Now I just have to make it through the rest of this week!

Later guys

No comments: